* * * * * 5 stars – A Hidden Gem!
Nestled away on a busy high street, In Hot Property have come up trumps with these serviced apartments. There are 4 in total, and we have been staying in Apartment 4 on the top floor.
First impressions are wonderful. On entering Bank Chambers, you are greeted by the most beautiful period doorway, and a wonderfully clean, light and airy hallway with the most grand sweeping staircase I’ve ever seen. It is truly beautiful, and being on the top floor, I had the pleasure of climbing it!
Apartment 4 has two bedrooms, a lovely double bedroom with walk in wardrobe and a second bedroom with bunk beds. The kitchen diner is light and airy and well equipped with a dishwasher, microwave, cooker and hob, toaster and superb collection of kitchen knives (I often find holiday properties have really rubbish, blunt knives, so this was a mega plus from me!). The lounge area has a sofa (which is also doubles as a sofa bed), two lovely tub chairs by the window overlooking the high street, and a wall mounted television. All in all, I felt like I was in a swanky London pad (note to self, must visit Vauxhall Apartments in London!).
Knaresborough itself is a lovely market town. There are some delightful quirky independent shops. We enjoyed ‘The Wine Shop’ (weekend away without the children!) and ‘Knaresborough Toys’ were just two that we purchased from. I found these painted windows really interesting and after a bit of research I discovered they’re from an arts festival that happens annually.
We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed various walks down by the river, a visit to Mother Shipton’s Cave (there’s a really good pirate ship playground here too), Knaresborough Castle, a day trip to Fountain’s Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens (well worth a trip particularly if you are a young family and National Trust Members), and Ripley Castle. We were on a child free weekend so were quite laid back with our plans, but there is so much to do very close by.
As recommended by Mark, we sampled the dinner menu at Carriages Wine Bar just down the road and it did not disappoint, it was delicious. We also had a lovely Sunday lunch at the Boar’s Head in Ripley (just 15 minutes away). There are also plenty of independent cafes and tea rooms for lunches and cakes, we had a yummy scone and shortbread down by the river. There is a Tesco Express just over the road and a Sainsbury’s about 3-4 minutes walk away for all the essentials if you wanted to do full self catering.
It’s the little extras that MAKE a holiday property:
Not only is Bank Chambers perfectly situated, beautifully decorated and well equipped, there are some lovely extra touches that make this property a wonderful stay.
- Helpful cooking ingredients – often when you stay at a property, you always end up buying various cupboard staples, but Bank Chambers keeps a Kilner bottle of oil, salt and pepper right next to the hob, just like you would have in your own home.
- Towels – I love walking into a hotel and finding towels pressed and neatly arranged on the bed, and walking into Bank Chambers was no different.
- Toiletries – I hate it when properties don’t supply enough toilet roll. Bank Chambers provided more than enough and have even gone the extra mile and included a shampoo and conditioner dispenser in the bathroom. I had a happy husband as he’d forgotten his!
- Umbrella – in the foyer downstairs is on umbrella bucket with a handy golf umbrella which is great when you get caught out in the British summer weather, shame we didn’t take it out when we had to run back in the pouring rain!
- COFFEE!! – I’ve saved the best for last and my husbands favourite. He is a big coffee drinker and to find an Lavazza coffee machine was a real plus. He enjoyed making himself a coffee like he would at home and again, there were plenty of capsules!.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at Bank Chambers, and would ABSOLUTELY recommend it to anyone (and I am sure their other properties in London and Norfolk would be no different). The attention to detail makes these apartments a real treat, and there has clearly been a lot of love and care gone into the renovations.
A fab stay, go on, why not treat yourself to a weekend away……
Bank Chambers, High St, Knaresborough.
Disclaimer: I have carried out this review independently, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you would like to work with me, please contact me to discuss terms.