Back in the new year, I trialled the idea of keeping a ‘Bullet Journal’ in my trusty old Filofax starting with a 2017 Bucket List, and a Book List. Last month, I decided to dive into the bullet journal world with two feet (with some encourage from the ever useful life guru that is Hayley from Home!). Well, what can I say, I am a bit hooked…
Here are Five Things that will help get you started on your first bullet journal:
1. You can use any notebook or pad – I had a trial go in my trusty Filofax notes pages. Only when I decided to get a bit more adventurous did I plum for the Leuchtturm 1917 dotted notebook because I liked the flexibility it gave with the dotted squares rather than lined or squared. But you can use virtually anything! There are some incredible people you can follow on instagram: ‘Adventurous_Planning_Cat’ uses a Filofax ballet hournal with some fantastic layouts. She even prints her own dotted paper. ‘Boho Berry’ uses a Leuchtturm and her pages are simply stunning.
2. You can start anytime – Unlike a traditional diary that will go from Jan- Dec or Sept-Aug; you can start whenever you like with a bullet Journal. You could even start mid month, that’s the beauty of a ‘Bujo’ !
3. You can set it out however you like – after doing a few pages here and there, I decided to start setting out a monthly page with a memories page afterwards. The ‘Memories’ are by far one of my favourites. It really showcases all the fun adventures we’ve had over the month.
4. Creative organisation – an easy way to describe a bullet journal is: all your to do lists, dreams and a diary all in one. Have you ever found some diaries just don’t meet all of your needs? A bullet journal is a way of having a diary, but set out exactly how you want. I’m trying a double page spread for the next few months with a corner for ‘to do next month’. Over the summer I’m going to do a spot of research and see how I might change my set up for the month and/or weeks for the new academic year.
5. Daunting at first but loads of fun – at first I was really quite apprehensive about starting as I didn’t want to make a mistake in my precious new notepad. I’m a bit OCD like that. I love everything to be neat, always have. I was nervous about doodling pictures for fear of it looking awful. I did an outline of my first page in pencil and then went over it in pen. However, a few weeks later, and I just go for it now, but I do wile away the time drifting through Pinterest searching for new ideas for pages, layouts, and doodles.
One thing to watch out for is ‘ghosting’. This is where the pen bleeds though the paper. I’m currently using the Staedler fine tips which are great, but prior to buying them I was using Wilko own which worked fine. The only reason I bought the Staedtler was because the red ran out in my Wilko pack and I LOVE station. The Staedtler ones were ynder £10 from Amazon and only a couple of pounds more than the pack of 20.
Ideas and thoughts for new pages are always as welcome. I’m currently thinking of starting a Netflix/Series one, but I need to pick some new series to watch first. I might try and keep a sleep diary for L for a month and see if there’s a pattern to her night wakings.
Bloggers and Linkies to follow: